Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Where Do You Come Up With This Stuff?

Yeah, I get asked this question a lot, but the answer is fairly obvious if you know me at all.  Working for the USPS as a rural mail carrier, I have a lot of time to think.  My route is about 4 hours long and most of that time is spent driving from one box to the next.  What better way to spend that time than thinking of what to do when I get home or on the weekend, etc.
A lot of times this will get me into trouble as I will be deep in thought and completely forget what I am doing.  I have driven past boxes, put the wrong mail in boxes and from time to time even forget that I had serviced a box and find myself at a place I didn't realize I was at!  Thankfully, most of the time I realize my mistake before it's too late, but I have had to backup and correct mistakes from time to time.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not doing anything unsafe as in situations where immediate action is required it becomes second nature and you instantly snap back to reality.  Thank goodness for that, but it is rather difficult to keep your mind from wandering when you do this job and have been doing it for 17 years now.
A lot of time is spent thinking about what to have for supper as that is one of the highlights of my day!  I do like to eat.  But that is usually decided rather quickly which leaves a lot of time to think about other things, among which have been in the past, how make a car go further on a gallon of gas, how to generate your own electricity, and the ever popular, how to make a million dollars!
Since I started blogging, a lot of time is spent thinking up new topics for the blog, which is where the idea for this one came from.  I've always had a desire to be a writer, but never could come up with something to write about.  It just never occurred to me to write about my own thoughts, which is why blogging is so popular these days.
The series on American automobile history was a no brainer for me.  As a car guy from the start, I have always been fascinated by cars and history, so combining the two just came natural for me.  I have a few more installments of that left in me before I have to come up with something new, so I guess it's time to start thinking again.
So next time you see the mailman coming your way, ask him or her what they are thinking about.  The answer just may surprise you a bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment