Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Big Disappointment

I was all excited this morning, got up kind of early for a Saturday, after shower and donning some walking clothes, I made the 40 mile round trip to pick up my granddaughter, Carly.  Shortly after we arrived back at my house, my grandson Billy and my other granddaughter Jordan, along with her friend Nicole, arrived for the big trip to Cincinnati, Ohio.
You see the plan was to walk across the John A. Roebling suspension bridge and further tryout my new Sony MHS-CM5 bloggie HD video camera by taking some video of the experience along with the Cincinnati skyline.  I thought it would be an excellent prequel for the kids to see and learn a bit about the history of the bridge before we do the same in NYC on the Brooklyn bridge.  Seemed like a good plan.
After our 45 minute drive from the house, we arrived in Covington, KY, which is directly across from Cincinnati and quickly made our way to the place I planned to park for our walk.  A funny thing happened as we drove down the street for the bridge approach, there in the roadway were barriers which read Road Closed.  We quickly learned why when we caught our first view of the magnificent structure.  It was closed to vehicular and pedestrian traffic for painting!
The kids thought it was very funny, but me not so much.  My magnificent scheme to teach my grandchildren a bit of history had resulted in a huge flop!  So much for my plan, but at least we got to stop by White Castles for lunch on the way back home and I got to spend some precious time with 3 of the most important people in the world to me.  Not such a big disappointment after all when you think about it.
The John A. Roebling suspension bridge (completed in 1866)  across the Ohio river between Cincinnati, OH and Covington, KY, is not quite as famous as the Brooklyn bridge (completed in 1883), which John also designed, but was built under the supervision of his son Washington after the death of John which was the result of an accident while surveying for the bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment