Thursday, June 17, 2010

Gas Price Wars?

It seems to me that the old gas wars have changed quite a bit lately.  I realize times have changed, but why don't gasoline companies compete anymore?  As an example of what I'm talking about, in the area where I work recently, prices were the range of $2.41 for discount stations (Swify, Speedway, etc.) and $2.59 at the regular retailers (BP, Shell, etc.).  Then in the blink of an eye, overnight as a matter of fact, now all are at the same price, $2.75!  Okay, I can understand a price increase, but did the price instantly change to the same amount for the discount brands as well as the regular retailers?
And this seems to happen on a regular basis, the price will slowly creep downwards over the next few weeks, the price difference between the discount and regular suppliers will once again be present and then it will happen again, all of a sudden and instantly all will be at the same high price.  How stupid do they think we are?
I know, I know, what can you do about it?  It is pretty simple really, for those who can, drive less.  This has been proven overall to be the most effective solution to high gas prices and it works each time it is tried.
Not everyone can do this I know as I am one who has to buy gas daily to deliver the mail.  But for those days I don't work, I don't go out much anymore.  I've very tired of being taken for a fool and refuse to play their game any longer.  I've started walking more as well.  This has an added benefit which should be obvious.
So do your best to let the gas companies know that we are aware of what they are doing and we refuse to take part in their little games anymore.  Walk, bike, run to the local store, get some healthy exercise and save a buck!

No comments:

Post a Comment